Promise ultra ATA 133 controller

Don Chorman chormand@pilot.msu.edu
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:07:19 -0500

Hello,
        I am contemplating getting a new ATA133 hard drive.  However, I
would have to use an add on controller, since my mobo only supports ATA66.
According to Promise's data sheet, Linux is listed as supported.
    As of now, I don't have Linux on this machine, but I plan on installing
Suse 7.3 in the near future. I went to Suse's website, and the 133
controller is not listed in the supported hw database (the 100 is). I am
nervous about buying this HD/Controller setup because it is not listed in
the supported hw database.
    I also googled around, and found that some folks could get the
controllers working by re-compiling the kernel with the added support. I
have no experience with re-compiling the kernel, and I am afraid that I
would not even get Suse to install, if it "didn't like" the controller.
    Is it possible to add the support for this card during an install (if
Suse didn't recognize it)? I'm assuming that a driver disk would accompany
the controller.

Thanks,

Don