Promise ultra ATA 133 controller

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:54:23 -0500

Quoted from minshal1@msu.edu on Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:12:34PM -0500:
> Don-
>
> I would recommend not getting that controller.  I have a Promise
> ATA-100 controller, and although it is supported in Linux, the
> support is not mature.  I'm assuming the ATA100 controller uses
> the same driver as the ATA133.  I've been getting stable operation
> on the latest 2.4 kernel (which I had to custom compile), but the
> support is still not great.  For example, if I have a master drive
> without a slave drive attached, the kernel randomly locks up during
> disk access.  Getting that conroller to work was a fairly difficult
> process in Linux.  On the other hand Win2000 support was great.  So,
> my recommendation is don't get the promise ATA100 or above for Linux
> yet.

Hmm... My motherboard has an onboard Promise ATA100 controller,
worked OK in linux (not in full ATA100 mode, but it was detected
and usable) by passing an argument to the kernel via LILO.  When
I installed FreeBSD at home on that machine, it appears that FreeBSD
just detected the ATA100 and started working at that speed (according
to boot logs, but I didn't actually do any testing beyond that).

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org