[GLLUG] Getting closer

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:15:38 -0500

On Thursday 17 January 2002 01:52, you wrote:
> A little plug and chug and I'm now printing. Thanks Ed.
>
> Now...for a potential flame starter...
>
> I use BBEdit on my Mac because it just works brilliantly as a text
> editor. One of the best features of it is the ability to open a file
> from an FTP server or save to an FTP server. Does anyone know of a
> good X-based text editor that has similar features of this? Cooledit
> is okay as an editor, but I loved BBEdit.

KDE2's tools should all accept URLs for this.  You can open a Konqueror
window with a URL like "ftp://mike@somewhere.org/home/mike" , enter
your password, and browse the directories just like they were on a
local filesystem (minus speed problems, etc.)  Double-click on a text
file, the KDE Advanced Editor opens the file up, and away you go.  All
the KDE tools' "File Open" dialogs accept URLs starting with ftp:// as
well, if you don't want to open a Konqueror window.

Of course, the KDE tools come with some overhead, and you may not like
KDE, but it's an option.

--
Used to have a .sig, but I'm trying to quit.