[GLLUG] LaTeX or rather MiKTeX for lab reports,etc questions [OT]

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
20 Jan 2002 15:40:25 -0800

"Don Chorman" <chormand@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> I'm trying to come up with a way to create nice looking lab reports. I want
> to be able to put all the mathmatical formulae and such, so I did a google
> search and I came up with LaTeX. After some more searching, I found MiKTeX
> and I just installed the win32 version.
>
> Does anyone here have experience using *TeX for such purposes? (i.e.
> Complete lab reports with all the integral and DEQ equations.)

Sure.  I used to do all my electrical engineering lab reports and
class assignments using LaTeX.  You want some examples?  I should
still have some around.

> Please excuse my ignorance but am I way off base here? Is there a
> signifigant difference between LaTeX and MiKTeX, such that the tutorials for
> LaTeX wouldn't apply to using MiKTeX?

If MiKTeX is just a Windows 32-bit implementation of TeX, then
you should be able to use all regular TeX (and LaTeX) input
files.  The procedure for invoking TeX (and LaTeX) might be a
little different though.

> Are there any "spoon feed" or "LaTeX for the mentally challenged" type of
> books that would step me along during the document creation process?

There's always the LaTeX tutorial on my website, but it doesn't
cover equations:
        http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben/writings/
--
Aim to please, shoot to kill.