[GLLUG] Re: APM Daemon in Mandrake

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:01:40 -0500

On Monday 31 December 2001 03:01, you wrote:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Eh?  Did this get stuck in the queue for 3 weeks, or is your date
screwed up?

> My brother-in-law is running Mandrake 8.0 and he had his PC over for
> some tweaking the other day.  At one point, I noticed that the CPU
> meter was pegged at around 100%.  A quick check showed that the
> 'kapm-idled' process was hogging the "lion's share" by far.
[snip]

kapm-idled is supposed to do that.  Its purpose in life is to run when
nothing else is running and issue HLT instructions to an x86 processor.
 Since executing a HLT instruction takes much less electrical power
than executing any other instruction, the result is a net power savings.

Lots of other people noticed this too, and some of them freaked out.
It looks like more recent kernels have played some tricks with the
reporting of CPU stats for that particular part of the kernel, as I'm
running 2.4.16 and kapm-idled is consuming 0% of the CPU.  (Yes, I shut
down the distributed.net client, and though KDE2 and Mozilla can be
hogs, they are sucking ~6% of the CPU together.)  Upshot:  Don't worry
about it.  If the stats cause you alarm, upgrade your kernel--probably
a good idea anyway, Mandrake 8.0 was using something from before the
2.4 VM got straightened out IIRC.

--
   One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is... If they do
   foul up, there's no law against whacking them around a little.