[GLLUG] Scroll wheel

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:03:43 -0500

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 13:26, Mike Szumlinski wrote:
> I always get a this when using mount_smbfs using the following syntax
>
> mount_smbfs -I my.stupid.server //me@servernetbios/Inetpub
> /mnt/server
>
> mount_smbfs: vfsload(smbfs): Exec format error
>
> I am actually able to use sharity to connect and mount the server the
> way I want. Here is where my problems start. When I mount the share,
> I have to mount as root for some reason, which means that only root
> can edit the files on the share.  Unless I login to my WM as root
> (which I don't do) I can't use my file manager to edit any of the
> files, I always have to "sudo emacs file.whatever".  Is there a way
> to allow a standard user to mount a samba share? I always get
> Operation Not Permitted when I attempt to mount as anything but root
> or using sudo.

(Watch as I attempt to apply Linux experience to *BSD problems, and
probably make a fool of myself:)

For SMB, the standard fstab rules should apply, as well as one more
restriction that is peculiar to the way SMB support is implemented.
The fstab line (under Linux) is like so:

//SERVER/SHARE /mnt/share  smbfs  noauto,user,umask=000,username=
joebob,workgroup=workgroup   0   0

"user" should do the normal thing and allow any normal user to
mount/umount the filesystem.  However, smbmnt will not let a user mount
an SMB filesystem *unless* the user doing the mount owns the
mountpoint.  So /mnt/share would have to be chown'ed to joebob if
joebob wanted to mount the thing without going through contortions.  If
the SMB support under *BSD is a port of the Linux version, they've
probably copied this behavior.

The umask= option is bloody well necessary for all 'Doze filesystems in
a multiuser environment (and most single-user environments), since the
permissions either don't exist or don't map on the source FS.  If the
user option doesn't work, just mount as root and pass in umack=000, or
make yourself a member of the root group and pass in umask=007 if there
are Evil Hackers about.

--
   There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no CONSISTENCY.
   There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS.  I'm very probably wrong.