[GLLUG] Arialink Wireless ISP

Mark Szidik/mlc SzidikM@mlcnet.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:33:44 -0400

I got a new modem with my last *major* outage (early May).  I have talked
to ACD support many times (and rebooted the modem many times as well).
Josh (one person they have that actually knows stuff) is supposed to call
me today (he is the one that dispatched Ameritech).  ACD says the problem
is with Ameritech.  Ameritech sent 2 technicians out to my house on
Saturday and they spent almost 2 hours running tests.  Of course they claim
that my pair is perfectly fine.

-Mark

                    "Jeff Lawton"
                    <Jeff@idealso.com>        To:     <linux-user@egr.msu.edu>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    linux-user-admin@e        Subject:     RE: [GLLUG] Arialink Wireless ISP
                    gr.msu.edu

                    07/29/02 03:24 PM

You can ask ACD about the new modems and see that may help. They are
supposed to have a 10% greater reach. They are just now integrating them
and
it may take a while for them to become available where you are. Not to
insult you intelligents, have you power cycled everything connected to it,
is the modem surge protected on the phone as well as power, (they have had
several lighting strikes on peoples unprotected modems recently), Have you
called support?

As far as Arialink they require line of site to operate. Depending on where
you are located there can be issues with weather interference and obstacles
(tree growth, new building, etc...) other than that it is a great service.
Also on the Arealink there is a $300 + setup charge to lease equipment. If
you are in Lansing their main transition antenna is on the top of the
Michigan National Tower.

Jeff Lawton
Ideal Solution, LLC
www.idealso.com