[GLLUG] OT: Ghost 7.5 and domain

Brad Fears brad@mtsdev.com
06 Jun 2002 22:34:56 -0400

We use Ghost for deployment of our 3500+ workstations, and we've
explored every way to automate the process as much as possible.  What we
came up with was an image using "newsid.exe" set to run at first login.
We then wrote a "post-install" script that steps our microtechs through
the various phases of deployment.  Some things just can't be automated
if you're using Ghost, such as the computer id (because of the SID), but
with an efficient script, you can speed up the entire deployment
process.  A typical workstation install takes us about 30 minutes from
start to finish.

Win2k/XP can utilize "sysprep" (written by MS), which can change the SID
on the fly during deployment, and automate *almost* every aspect.

And in case anyone is interested, I just recently scoured the net
looking for open source solutions to Ghost.  I only came up short in the
area of partition resizing.  I found a couple of apps that work well for
generating the image (basically dd with fancy wrappers), but nothing to
deal with our NTFS partition types after the images are pushed to the
clients.  Ghost has this functionality built in, but I'm surprised that
nobody has created a cheaper way to do it.

--Brad Fears