[GLLUG] OT: Ghost 7.5 and domain

Jo Dillon jo@trolltech.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:54:52 +0200

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:34:56PM -0400, Brad Fears wrote:
> area of partition resizing.  I found a couple of apps that work well for
> generating the image (basically dd with fancy wrappers), but nothing to
> deal with our NTFS partition types after the images are pushed to the
> clients.  Ghost has this functionality built in, but I'm surprised that
> nobody has created a cheaper way to do it.

  Well, NTFS support in the Linux kernel has been pretty marginal
historically (it's not a simply filesystem by any means, there isn't
complete documentation and compared to FAT it had a rather smaller userbase;
that might well change with Windows XP). There is a new implementation these
days, and its author presumably might eventually support NTFS partition
resizing, but I imagine he's busy enough right now making it handle things
like writing files reliably...

--

	Jo