[GLLUG] gigabit ethernet

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
21 Jun 2002 12:36:36 -0700

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> Anyone have recommendations on a well-supported gigabit (copper, not
> fiber) ethernet card for Linux?
>
> I googled for a while, but couldn't find enough of the right information
> to make me happy.  The Intel 1000tx card apparently requires drivers
> from Intel (ala, it's not in the linux kernel), so that makes me a bit
> wary...

I wouldn't be so worried, myself.  IIRC what Linus said in
Monterey last weekend, Intel's Linux drivers (e100, e1000) for
these cards are pretty good, and in fact they're already in
2.5.x.  There's also this thread from linux-kernel:
        http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2002/May/0009.html
--
"The only problem with Linux for Dummies is that the advice it
 contains will result only in embarrassment and inconvenience if