[GLLUG] gigabit ethernet

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:03:15 -0400

On Friday 21 June 2002 15:30, after a long battle with technology,
Edward Glowacki wrote:
> Anyone have recommendations on a well-supported gigabit (copper, not
> fiber) ethernet card for Linux?
>
> I googled for a while, but couldn't find enough of the right
> information to make me happy.  The Intel 1000tx card apparently
> requires drivers from Intel (ala, it's not in the linux kernel), so
> that makes me a bit wary...

What pfaffben said wrt most GigE cards.

We've got a couple of Broadcom5700 GigE cards in-house on the firewall
and the Big Server, and they have been very solid.  Support wasn't in
the official kernel for a while but the source for the modules was
freely available, and 2.4.18 has the bcm5700 source in the main tree.

--
   Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans.  We need some saliva
   and pickles to get mad.   --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"