[GLLUG] network attached storage

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:29:36 -0500

> Scott Overfield wrote:
>
> Good Morning,
> Has anyone on the list either built, or know someone who
> has, a network attached storage box with linux?
> I would like to make use of this technology, however, I am
> not interested in spending thousands of dollars on a NAS
> appliance....

We also used software raid 5 on 30GB IDE disks. Worked like
a charm for a couple years until we pulled it out to put in
a bigger box to do more things. The original box was only a
P60 or P75 (I forget which) with only 64MB ram at most (once
again I forget some of the details). That box ran samba for
windows file access and netatalk for mac's. While I'd
certainly want better hardware if we had it available, that
minimal hardware worked good at the time.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us