[GLLUG] Telnet SMTP commands

Scott Oom oomscott@egr.msu.edu
17 Mar 2002 04:10:25 -0500

I just had to do this earlier today, but login authentication is pretty
straightforward, user and password are sent base64 encoded after the
AUTH LOGIN command ie:

220 lithium.aryltech.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.1/8.12.1/Debian -5; Sun, 17
Mar 2002 04:01:20 -0500; (No UCE/UBE) logging access from:
lithium.aryltech.com(OK)-other@lithium.aryltech.com [35.11.182.76]
HELO .
250 lithium.aryltech.com Hello other@lithium.aryltech.com
[35.11.182.76], pleased to meet you
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
b3RoZXI=
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
V09NQkFUIQ==
235 2.0.0 OK Authenticated

The first encoded message from the client is the username, and the
second the password.

Hope this helps, to do the encoding I just used php's base64_encode and
decode functions.

-Scott

----
-- Scott Oom   - oomscott@egr.msu.edu