[GLLUG] Strange Switch behavior

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:47:45 -0500

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 08:38:34AM -0600, gholbrook@voyager.net wrote:

   I've got a Cisco 5000 series switch at one of my locations, and I
   added a Linux bridging firewall to it.  I am running bridging
   firewalls at two other locations with <HEAVY> loads, and no
   problems at all.  Well...for some reason at this particular
   location, my network went to crap.  If I pinged the switch it would
   frequently time out.  So I took the firewall out of the loop.
   Still though, timeouts on pings.  As soon as I SHUT THE MACHINE
   DOWN instead of simply taking it out of the network loop...the
   network returned to normal status.

   WTF!  The switch didn't report anything strange, and I had it
   logging at debug level to my terminal session.

I've heard that switch is a piece of crap anyway... Buy Foundry!  :)

Dennis