[GLLUG] dual video with radeon 7000

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 06 May 2002 15:27:12 -0400

I have an IBM box (a 300PL I think) that my son wanted
better video in. It comes with integrated S3 Trio and an AGP
slot. I found (the hard way) that the stupid proprietary
case design will not accomodate very many cards in the AGP
slot - and none that I could find with performance much
better than the integrated video. As such, I ended up
putting a 64MB Radeon 7000 PCI card in one of the slots.
Now, when I try to run the X configuration tool (XFdrake on
Mandrake 8.2) it finds two video cards but cannot configure
either one of them to work. I'm mainly interested in the
Radeon card - I'd be perfectly happy to totally disable the
integrated video but that isn't an option in CMOS setup on
this machine. When I try to configure the Radeon card I end
up with trashed video and a frozen box. I think Mandrake
uses a framebuffer setup by default but I've also used the
nonfb boot option with no change in results. I think I'm
dealing with what X thinks is a dual video setup but I don't
know how to get it to work. Any of you dual video guys want
to take a shot at this?

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo