[GLLUG] dual video with radeon 7000

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
06 May 2002 17:12:27 -0300

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 16:27, Mike Rambo wrote:
> I have an IBM box (a 300PL I think) that my son wanted
> better video in. It comes with integrated S3 Trio and an AGP
> slot. I found (the hard way) that the stupid proprietary
> case design will not accomodate very many cards in the AGP
> slot - and none that I could find with performance much
> better than the integrated video. As such, I ended up
> putting a 64MB Radeon 7000 PCI card in one of the slots.
> Now, when I try to run the X configuration tool (XFdrake on
> Mandrake 8.2) it finds two video cards but cannot configure
> either one of them to work. I'm mainly interested in the
> Radeon card - I'd be perfectly happy to totally disable the
> integrated video but that isn't an option in CMOS setup on
> this machine. When I try to configure the Radeon card I end
> up with trashed video and a frozen box. I think Mandrake
> uses a framebuffer setup by default but I've also used the
> nonfb boot option with no change in results. I think I'm
> dealing with what X thinks is a dual video setup but I don't
> know how to get it to work. Any of you dual video guys want
> to take a shot at this?
>
> Thanks.

Which version of XFree86 are you using?  3.x is unsupported now, so you
should probably be running 4.x, but I'm not sure what Mandrake includes
by default.  Anyways, if you're running 4.x and you can get booted
sans-gui to a command line, you can run "XFree86 -configure" and it
should detect everything you need and store the configuration in
"XF86Config.new" in the current directory.  Then it tells you to run
"XFree86 -xf86config XF86Config.new" to test it out, and if it works,
you just copy the config file to it's permanent home, probably
"/etc/X11/XF86Config".  You may also need to edit the file to tell X
which monitor is on which side, add any custom options, etc.  Quite
painless, and it is known to work with dual head configurations (i.e.
mine! =)  If only my video driver would get that stupid bug fixed so I
can use the second display!!! =P)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org