[GLLUG] Mac 10.2.2 Journaling

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:47:06 -0500 (EST)

>From my understanding, it doesnt actually convert HFS+ to HFS(journaled)
and convert the filesystems. It is totally backwards compatible because it
is done in software above the filesystem if that makes sense. Thus the
journaling is actually done in HFS+ and you can turn it on or off at the
command line or through the gui on a whim.

The difference is that it isnt changing the filesystem, it is running in
the OS filesystem driver.

It gets more complicated then that because if you recall the "mac" rom'd
drives. The rom for those was the OS driver and that is now written on a
partition on the drive.. so it is probably just replacing that which it
can do on the fly although you have to reboot for it to take effect.

I would have to look at it closer, I kind of fell out of the development
loop.