[GLLUG] PHP/MySQL Dev question (again)

Mike Szumlinski szumlins@pilot.msu.edu
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:42:47 -0500

Okay, here is what I'm tryin' to do...probably simple...

I have a table that users update that has a timestamp (dateadded)
within it.  That used to suffice when the users could only ADD items,
but now that they can modify as well, every time the item is modified
the timestamp grabs the new time.  Since my list is ordered by date,
this throws things off...so I need to figure out a way to add a
modified date (which would be the timestamp) to the table as well as
the dateadded field (which is not null and is unchangeable).

I was using the dateadded timestamp as a unique ID (probably not the
greatest idea, but since I don't think 2 people will post at the exact
same time down to the second on the site, I'm not that worried).  But
now that the dateadded timestamp changes when the data in the table is
modified, it just screws everything up.  Any ideas on how to do this
would be much appreciated.

-Mike