[GLLUG] Command line printer installation

D.F.Pope dfpope@ameritech.net
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 07:06:30 -0500

First, thanks for the presentation at the November GLLUG meeting. Good to
meet everyone.

I have RedHat 6.2 (2.2.14-5.0)  installed on an early Pentium (1995)  with
16 meg of ram and an 840 meg HD.    When I tried to install RH 7.3 on this
machine it told me I didn't have enough ram for the install.  6.2 didn't
complain although I was not able to install GNOME.  That's OK.  I have
plenty to learn using the command line for now.

I want to connect an Epson LQ-570+ dot matrix printer for just printing
ASCII.  The LinuxPrinting.org database tells me this printer should work
PERFECTLY.  However, all the books and HOWTOs I've found suggest a GUI based
installation procedure.  How do I install a printer from the command line?
How do I find the driver, where does it go, and how does it get hooked in?

I think lpd is running.  When I enter lpq I get >   lpq: lp: unknown
printer.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  I'm willing to start over with another
distribution if that is the recommendation.

Dan in Flint