[GLLUG] Linux Beginner Book Quest

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:52:08 -0500 (EST)

Honestly the best way to learn is to delete windows entirely from all your
systems and install your favourite Linux (personally i prefer RedHat, but
im not trying to start a war as each differen flavour of unix has its own
merits.)) If you really want to take it slow buy a Mac and run OS X (not
only will you start to learn unix but you will also start to learn
hardware too. =) ).

The question you asked is hard to answer with a one book answer. The
reason is that the more you learn you more you will need/want to know.
It depends on how well YOU understand what your operating system
does when you tell it to do something IE What is your operating system
actually doing when you create a shortcut from a file to another spot in
your directory tree?

The first thing to note and this goes for any OS, don't be afraid to screw
it up, and take notes as to what you did to configure it in case you screw
up later and reinstall.  Dont expect to be a unix god overnight it is
highly complex and assumes that you know what you are doing.

As Mike already said the FreeBSD Documentation(which does have non-freebsd
intro to unix docs as well as intro to FreeBSD specific stuff.) are
actually pretty good, the Linux how-to's are pretty good, the man pages
are good, info docs are good, the net is good. Asking the list is
perfectly fine, but the more specific you can ask the question the more
specific of an answer you will recieve, because chances are there are 10
ways to do what you want to do and the best one from your perspective is
dependent entirely on the specifics of what you are doing.. One can only
guess the specifics if they don't have the information.

That being said i think someone wrote an intro book called Unix for DOS
users for dummies or something similar that was avaiable at schulers or
barnes and nobles.

I hope that better answers your question..

Sean