[GLLUG] serial null-modem

Wald pdwald@netzero.com
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 00:26:43 -0300

Hello all,

I am trying to implement a  connection between my desktop and
a gateway2000solo notebook through a serial null-modem. In order
to understand the process better I have read some howtos,
including "The Serial Laplink Howto", but haven't succeed. The
desktop looks to operate properly, but the notebook... One of
the problems I am facing up with is to establish an IP number
to serial (if it's strictly necessary), I suppose that the IP number
is defined by the pppd (it isn't clear in the howto). Another
concern that comes up is that I am using a minidist in my
notebook (freesco), which one has the cua0 as the device for
the serial interface, on the other hand the desktop, running a conectiva
linux, has the ttyS0 for the device. I suppose that the cuax is somehow
sort of obsolete if compared to the ttySx (I don't know if that could be
a problem). Any clearness would be very welcome!

thanks,
Pedro Wald

Introducing NetZero Long Distance