[GLLUG] cdrecord slows machine

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:38:28 -0400

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 06:59, after a long battle with technology,
Brad Fears wrote:
> It appears to be an IDE device emulating SCSI (built-in to my laptop,
> /dev/scd0), but the output of lsmod is a bit confusing to me:
>
> ide-scsi               10512   0
> scsi_mod              107176   3  [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]
> ide-cd                 33608   0
> cdrom                  33696   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]

ide-scsi is loaded and not used by anything.  scsi_mod is loaded and
used by sg, sr_mod, and ide-scsi.  ide-cd is loaded (strange) and not
used by anything.  cdrom is loaded and used by sr_mod and ide-cd.

> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
>   Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA330           Rev: 1.50
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This is fine.

> I can't set the DMA mode, which I would suspect is a result of the
> SCSI emulation.

You should be able to set the DMA mode if you use the IDE device.
Trying to use hdparm on /dev/scd? will not work, but just try "hdparm
/dev/hdc" and you should see a list of various settings.

--
   Hope is gone and she confessed / When you lay your dreams to rest
   You can get what's second best / But it's hard to get enough...