[GLLUG] Looking for ISP

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:00:47 -0400

On Friday 25 October 2002 15:26, after a long battle with technology,
Nathan Thern wrote:
> I'm new to this list, and hope to attend a meeting soon. I'm
> wondering if anyone can tell me what dialup ISPs in the area are
> cheap (<= $10/mo) and easy to set up with linux. The linux box use
> for dialup internet access is a 486 running an old version of RedHat
> and I have to set up the dialup scripts manually.

I don't remember how expensive it was (yay for cablemodems!) but
Voyager.net was easy to get working.  No weird protocols, and the tech
support didn't freak out when I said, "I'm running Linux, can you tell
me whether you're using PAP or CHAP or MS-CHAP, and what's the IP
address for your DNS machine?"  Set up kppp (wvdial would also work)
with that info, connected fine.

I haven't used them for a year and a half, things may have changed, but
I never had a problem with them.  YMMV.

--
   Life is a persistent hallucination, Death a mere illusion.
             Taxes, however, are Objective Reality.