[GLLUG] Looking for ISP

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:53:43 -0700

Nathan Thern wrote:
> Hello to all,
> I'm new to this list, and hope to attend a meeting soon. I'm wondering if
> anyone can tell me what dialup ISPs in the area are cheap (<= $10/mo) and
> easy to set up with linux. The linux box use for dialup internet access is
> a 486 running an old version of RedHat and I have to set up the dialup
> scripts manually.
>
> TIA,
> Nate T.

I moved here a little over a month ago and first tried Speakeasy's dialup
service. I figured since they got rave reviews with their DSL, dialup would be
a piece of cake for them. *Bzzt!* Wrong. Turns out that for their dialup
service, they outsource everything to a company called popsite or megapop or
such. Which wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that half the
internet seems to ban that network.

With that venture in the trash can, I tried an ISP headquartered in Saginaw,
Diamon Computer Services, and haven't had a problem since. The features aren't
extravagent, but I have my email and web pages hosted elsewhere so all I need
is a good solid connection. This ISP seems to deliver so far.

http://www.diamondcs.net

Pros (In my opinoin):
- $10/mo unlimited 56k access
- newsgroup server
- regular PPP w/ CHAP authentication (I use dialup scripts)
- haven't screwed me yet

Cons:
- Only 3MB webspace
- insecure webmail
- their home page is a little too buzzword-compliant

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net