[GLLUG] Debian, Daemon installed, but not running

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:04:57 -0500

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:00:14PM -0500, Brian Hoort wrote:

   At the last SlashDot Meetup, I asked if there was a way to stop a
   daemon from running without un-installing it. I was just reading
   through the Debian Weekly News and found this:

   Enabling Daemons. Noah Meyerhans noted that Debian currently
   doesn't support situations when a daemon package is installed and
   the daemon isn't started upon startup. Noah wondered why Debian
   doesn't support the BSDish /etc/rc.conf system which contains a
   variable for each daemon.  (yanked from:
   http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2002/38/ )

Use this:

update-rc.d -f [daemon] remove

This will remove it from startup, but you will need to execute the
above command each time you upgrade the specific software package.

The base script /etc/init.d/[daemon] will still exist if you wish to
start it manually.

dpk