[GLLUG] Debian, Daemon installed, but not running

Brian Hoort hoortbri@msu.edu
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:00:14 -0500

At the last SlashDot Meetup, I asked if there was a way to stop a daemon
from running without un-installing it. I was just reading through the
Debian Weekly News and found this:

Enabling Daemons. Noah Meyerhans noted that Debian currently doesn't
support situations when a daemon package is installed and the daemon isn't
started upon startup. Noah wondered why Debian doesn't support the BSDish
/etc/rc.conf system which contains a variable for each daemon.
(yanked from: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2002/38/ )

Shucks.

--
   Brian Hoort

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-Mahatma Gandhi