[GLLUG] RE: partitioning Compaq raid devices

Mark Szidik/mlc SzidikM@mlcnet.org
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:31:34 -0400

He gang,

I hope someone out there can help me with this.  below is the outpuf of
fdisk looking at a Compaq RAID device.  I have not worked with a HW raid
device before, so the fdisk output is scaring me a bit (all the stuff about
the physical/logical beginnings and the start and end cylinder numbers all
being 1) .  We don't want to use fdisk to change patitions, just want to be
sure things are ok and can put partition 4 to work.

Partitions 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 are all mounted and are working just fine.
What we are hoping is that we can do a mkfs on partition 4
(/dev/cciss/c0d0p4) and not mess anything else up.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
~~~
Mark Szidik, System Administrator
Michigan Library Consortium
1407 Rensen Street, Suite 1,  Lansing, MI 48910-3657
Ph:800.530.9019 x17   Fax:517.394.2096
----- Forwarded by Mark Szidik/mlc on 09/04/02 04:21 PM -----

                    "Karen C.
                    Ventura"             To:     "Mark Szidik/mlc" <SzidikM@mlcnet.org>
                    <kknox@tln.li        cc:
                    b.mi.us>             Subject:     RE: Linux FS's

                    09/04/02
                    04:15 PM

Mark,

Yeah, ok - that makes sense.  (Can you tell I'm not good with this disk
stuff??)

Here's the output of my fdisk:
-------------------------------
[root@novilin kknox]# /sbin/fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 1 heads, 71106240 sectors, 1 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 71106240 * 512 bytes

           Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1   *         1         1     53040   83  Linux
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(9, 0, 1) logical=(0, 0, 73441)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(21, 254, 32) logical=(0, 0, 179520)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(21, 254, 32) should be (21, 0, 71106240)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2             1         1  25104240   83  Linux
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(22, 0, 1) logical=(0, 0, 179521)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1023, 254, 32) logical=(0, 0, 50388000)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(1023, 254, 32) should be (1023, 0, 71106240)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3             1         1     36704   12  Compaq
diagnostics
Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 1, 1) logical=(0, 0, 33)
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(8, 254, 32) logical=(0, 0, 73440)
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(8, 254, 32) should be (8, 0, 71106240)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p4             1         1  10359120    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(1023, 254, 32) logical=(0, 0, 50388001)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1023, 254, 32) logical=(0, 0, 71106240)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(1023, 254, 32) should be (1023, 0, 71106240)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p5             1         1   9179984   83  Linux
/dev/cciss/c0d0p6             1         1    391664   83  Linux
/dev/cciss/c0d0p7             1         1    522224   82  Linux swap
/dev/cciss/c0d0p8             1         1    261104   83  Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Command (m for help):

Does that mean something to you?  :)  I know, I know.  Looks to me like all
8 partitions on that disk are defined here, but the first 4 look a little
odd - perhaps in the Compaq formatting?

     Karen
Karen C. Ventura, MLIS
kknox@tln.lib.mi.us