[GLLUG] Ext2 recovery

Brad Fears brad@mtsdev.com
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:09:51 -0400 (EDT)

I somehow managed to corrupt my ext2-formatted zip disk while trying to
access it in OS X.  The machine claimed it contained no data, which was
when I realized it was formatted ext2.

Then I try to mount it back on my linux machine, and it suddenly thinks
the partition is vfat.  Thanks, OS X.

I tried running 'e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdb', but it complains " Attempt to
read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open
/dev/hdb.  Could this be a zero-length partition?"  I also tried the same
command with other superblock backups (24577, 40961, 57345, 73729), but
none worked.

I also tried forcing it to mount as ext2, with the various superblocks,
but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

--Brad Fears