[GLLUG] javascript calendar

chuck williams business@servicesbywilliams.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:11:33 -0400

Well I just like talking to local people I guess. Sorry if this seems
off-topic but last night (great meeting) I mentioned a javascript project
I'm working on the past few weeks and I don't even care that much for
javascript! It seems like a better language now then when I first studied it
a few years ago though, I suppose. I've been through a lot of material and
even a brief email correspodence with D.Goodman of 'bible' fame so I think
I've done my homework.

This is my current calendar version: http://www.sme.org/test/2002/mycal.htm
. Of course all my versions are based on freely available scripts which I've
modified endlessly.

So here's my questions:

1.) Can I really grab the client date and feed it to server programming?
This was my original preference but it got shot down even just a few days
ago.

(If anyone's wondering, a calendar running on the server side is going to
use the server's date/time no matter what time zone the client is in. A
javascript calendar will use the client's date/time, which is preferable. If
I can feed that local date/time to the server, I'll probably drop the
javascript.)

2.) Our user-base is primarily Windows. I want to use javascript regular
expressions and I gotta believe our users will be at least versions 4 of
both NN and IE. Is regex a stable and accepted part of javascript?

3.) This current version, mycal.htm, uses cookies which I'm not thrilled
about. I've been through all the common javascript scavenger hunts ...
anyone seen this month-to-month back/forward feature on a version WITHOUT
cookies?

4.) I'm seeing a "blink" effect but only in Netscape. But since I'm about
the only person here using Netscape I can't get anyone else to see it. To me
it's distracting.

I'm sure there's more to pick apart. I could talk all day. But these four
are the BIG ONES that keep me awake.

Thanks,
Chuck Williams
willcha@sme.org