[GLLUG] javascript calendar

Shawn Paige paig2956@yahoo.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:00:44 -0700 (PDT)

Chuck-

You might want to check this out (it is becoming
somewhat dated, but this was used at my last job on an
intranet site):

http://developer.iplanet.com/viewsource/husted_calendar/husted_calendar.html

See my other comments inline below:

--- chuck williams <business@servicesbywilliams.com>
wrote:
> Well I just like talking to local people I guess.
> Sorry if this seems
> off-topic but last night (great meeting) I mentioned
> a javascript project
> I'm working on the past few weeks and I don't even
> care that much for
> javascript! It seems like a better language now then
> when I first studied it
> a few years ago though, I suppose. I've been through
> a lot of material and
> even a brief email correspodence with D.Goodman of
> 'bible' fame so I think
> I've done my homework.
>
> This is my current calendar version:
> http://www.sme.org/test/2002/mycal.htm
> . Of course all my versions are based on freely
> available scripts which I've
> modified endlessly.
>
> So here's my questions:
>
> 1.) Can I really grab the client date and feed it to
> server programming?
> This was my original preference but it got shot down
> even just a few days
> ago.

This would depend on the desired interaction you want
the user to have with the calendar.  Are they going to
click on something to launch the calendar (i.e. a
pop-up window)?  If so, then create a JS date when the
page loads and then pass it in to the script.  If not,
you would have to do some stuff with refreshes or
something that would not be very clean or especially
reliable.

> (If anyone's wondering, a calendar running on the
> server side is going to
> use the server's date/time no matter what time zone
> the client is in. A
> javascript calendar will use the client's date/time,
> which is preferable. If
> I can feed that local date/time to the server, I'll
> probably drop the
> javascript.)
>
> 2.) Our user-base is primarily Windows. I want to
> use javascript regular
> expressions and I gotta believe our users will be at
> least versions 4 of
> both NN and IE. Is regex a stable and accepted part
> of javascript?
>
> 3.) This current version, mycal.htm, uses cookies
> which I'm not thrilled
> about. I've been through all the common javascript
> scavenger hunts ...
> anyone seen this month-to-month back/forward feature
> on a version WITHOUT
> cookies?

What are you storing in the cookies that you cannot
pass in the URL/querystring?  It seems like you could
just put things there and keep passing them around.

> 4.) I'm seeing a "blink" effect but only in
> Netscape. But since I'm about
> the only person here using Netscape I can't get
> anyone else to see it. To me
> it's distracting.

I don't see any noticeable flicker on Mozilla 1.1 in
Windows for whatever that is worth.

> I'm sure there's more to pick apart. I could talk
> all day. But these four
> are the BIG ONES that keep me awake.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Williams