[GLLUG] Re: Replication Software For Linux

Tom Rockwell rockwell@pa.msu.edu
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:18:46 -0400

rsync is pretty much the standard, right?  You can use it to
syncronizing directories across the filesystem (you'd have to do the
mounts and unmounts), or you can use it in a client/server network mode.
  I use it for nightly system config file replication on a Linux
cluster, in the network mode.

rsync is good about minimising the amount of network traffic when doing
updates (it compares files for differences), it can even transfer just a
part of a file (the end) if that is all that is needed for the update.

It's developed by the samba people http://rsync.samba.org/

-Tom