[GLLUG] Postgres and Stored Proceedures

Suzanne Reiner sreiner@fnba.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:09:57 -0400

Thanks Dennis,

I had checked the manuals and was unable to do what I wanted.  Apparently,
Postgres does not support stored proceedures returning resultsets until the
most recent beta versions.  And I'm just not willing to run a beta version
for production (particularly when I don't have a firm grasp on the
software).

Thanks for giving me a heads-up on the books.

Suzanne

-----Original Message-----
From: Dpk [mailto:dpk@egr.msu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 5:07 PM
To: Suzanne Reiner
Cc: 'GLLUG Post'
Subject: Re: [GLLUG] Postgres and Stored Proceedures

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 10:05:46AM -0400, Suzanne Reiner wrote:

   It has become this non-dba's job, for the moment, to determine the
   possiblility of stored proceedure use in postgres.  I've sifted
   documentation and user groups to find rumors that postgres can
   handle them..  but no clear indication or tutorial about how to do
   it.  Does anyone know of a tutorial or book that would be good to
   read?  Or, perhaps, if someone has done this can you give me a
   basic outline?

See the PostgreSQL documentation online:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/

The Programmer's Guide has examples on creating/using stored
procedures.  It is far from complete, but should get you started.  The
few PostgreSQL books I have read do not cover the subject any
better... most I learned was from trial and error.

Dennis