[GLLUG] Linux and ATTBI Question

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:10:40 -0400

On Friday 27 September 2002 10:41, after a long battle with technology,
Melson, Paul wrote:
> Yes.  Using vanilla DHCP client settings will work just fine with
> their network.

Eh?  I was under the impression that ATTBI supplied you with a hostname
when they installed the box, and you had to invoke dhcpcd with that
hostname.  Like so:

dhcpcd -h ATTBI-HOSTNAME eth0

...instead of the usual "dhcpcd eth0".  This may not be true anymore.

> (That is to say, they won't
> help you get fetchmail and mutt working with your attbi.com e-mail
> address.)

No problemo, mail.attbi.com is running a mostly-standard POP3 server on
port 110.  I've telnetted to it plenty of times.

> Their tech support folks will still help you troubleshoot
> the network settings on your Win32 box, regardless of whether or not
> their software is installed.

I never touched the ATT software, just set my 'Doze98 box's computer
name to ATTBI-HOSTNAME and set it to "obtain an IP automagically".
After making sure I could ping msu.edu and make an HTTP connection to
slashdot.org from 'Doze, I rebooted the machine to Linux and issued
"dhcpcd -h ATTBI-HOSTNAME eth0".  No problems whatsoever, whee!

--
   "Dreams?  Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
   --Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King