[GLLUG] gentoo user with questions..

Aaron Massey masseya@gentoo.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:22:35 -0500 (EST)

Hey Party People..

I'm going to be entering the master's program at MSU to get my master's in
computer science this coming fall.  I have a vast quantity of questions
and I'm hopeful that many of you will be able to help me find some
answers.  :)

1)  I'm very interested in contacting someone at MSU about setting up an
official gentoo linux mirror.  If you are not familiar with gentoo, it's
somewhat network heavy and good, fast (local) mirrors are nice to have.
To find out more about why, please ask me or visit www.gentoo.org.
Anyhow, whom should I contact at MSU about either getting a machine with
good bandwidth donated?  If there are a number of interested parties,
perhaps we could pitch in parts and 'create' a machine so we would only
need a place to store it and some nice bandwidth.  Any thoughts?

2)  I'm not familiar with the area, but since I'm probably not going to
commute across state lines, I'm going to be living there within a few
short months.  I would greatly appreciate any tips on places to live, and
more importantly, how should I connect to the Internet?  Is there a good
ISP in the area?  How fast is cable modem access?  You know what
concerns/bothers you about Internet access.  How would you do it?  If you
have tips on places to live, feel free to send them to me outside of the
list.  I don't want to bother people by being off topic.

3)  I'm curious if there are any other gentoo users out there.  I'm a Site
Admin at http://forums.gentoo.org and I have seen several people from
Michigan posting there.  Does anyone else visit those forums frequently?
If so, what's your handle?

4)  What are some of the best classes/professors you've had at MSU (if
you attended)?  I know this is not quite linux related, so please email me
personally if you don't think the list will want to hear about it.

Ok, I'm done bugging you all with questions.  I've subscribed to the
digest version of this list so please don't be offended if I'm not
lightening fast on replies.  :)  I found that my former LUG
(http://plug.purdue.org) was spontaneously very high traffic, but normally
somewhat low.  I'm assuming this is the same case with gllug based on the
archives of your mailing list.  :)

Thanks for all the help!

-Aaron Massey

--
ignorance admitted is wisdom begun..
knowledge pretended is folly maintained..