[GLLUG] gentoo user with questions..

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:37:01 -0500

On Thursday 10 April 2003 20:22, after a long battle with technology,
Aaron Massey wrote:
> 1)  I'm very interested in contacting someone at MSU about setting up
> an official gentoo linux mirror.

This would be nifty.

> how should I connect to the Internet?

T3.  Oh, wait... you want something that doesn't cost $50,000/month?
*sigh*

> there a good ISP in the area?  How fast is cable modem access?

AT&T/Comcast/whoever it is this week caps upstream at 32Kbyte/s,
downstream at (roughly) 150-200 Kbyte/s.  They made threatening noises
in their TOS about "running servers" but they haven't said a word about
my (very low-traffic) Apache, my (non-open-relay) Postfix, and the
everpresent sshd.  DSL is available if you live on the east side of
town, possibly with better upstream and/or less evil TOS.  Price is
about the same,  $50-70/month for the bandwidth described above.
Quality of service varies with location; I have barely had any problems
at all here on the west side while Ed G. on the east side had his
connection drop every few hours.  I haven't investigated much since I
only have a choice of evil AT&T cablemodem or dialup in my current
apartment.

Jeff is trying to get some wide-area wireless things going.

> 3)  I'm curious if there are any other gentoo users out there.  I'm a
> Site Admin at http://forums.gentoo.org and I have seen several people
> from Michigan posting there.  Does anyone else visit those forums
> frequently? If so, what's your handle?

I use Gentoo, but I prefer Usenet to web-based forums.  (When web-based
forums became popular, many of the total idiots devoted their time to
web-based things rather than Usenet, and there was much rejoicing.)

--
   Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
   He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.