[GLLUG] gentoo user with questions..

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:36:51 -0400

Aaron Massey wrote:
> 2)  I'm not familiar with the area, but since I'm probably not going to
> commute across state lines, I'm going to be living there within a few
> short months.  I would greatly appreciate any tips on places to live,

Well, the biggest tip that I can offer is to start looking *now*. A few months
down the road and you won't be able to find squat at a decent price since all
of the places will have already been rented by college kids starting in the
fall. My fiancee and I went through this last year and we're currently looking
for another place. (So send those tips my way too, people, if you could be so
kind. :P) I would personally try to stay away from anything within a mile or
so from MSU campus for obvious reasons.

> and
> more importantly, how should I connect to the Internet?  Is there a good
> ISP in the area?  How fast is cable modem access?  You know what
> concerns/bothers you about Internet access.  How would you do it?  If you
> have tips on places to live, feel free to send them to me outside of the
> list.  I don't want to bother people by being off topic.

I refuse to pay for cable since what you get is well below what you pay for. I
can get most of my "work" done on dialup, but unfortunately my current dialup
provider (diamondcs.net) seems to letting quality slip further and further
down the drain with each passing week. I'd pay for DSL, but it can be hard to
get depending on location, plus I read somewhere that the phone companies
recently got the go-ahead from the FCC to snub out the independent DSL providers.

The things a fellow has to do to get online these days.

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net