[GLLUG] PHP and Mysql Frontends in Linux

Mike Szumlinski szumlins@mac.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:49:51 -0400

Hehe...this is the exact same question i asked like 2 years ago when I
first started playing with PHP/MySQL.

Honestly, I do everything from a terminal now (ssh into the FreeBSD
box) as far as MySQL is concerned.  It will greatly help you to learn
the syntax of MySQL for your code if you have to manually manipulate
the DBs.  If you really want to play with a frontend, xmysql and
xmysqladmin seem to be pretty decent for viewing tables and stuff.

That being said, I don't use the FreeBSD machine to edit on, I use my
Mac...so I don't think that I have much input into what a good text
editor is for *nix (BBEdit rules).  I used emacs quite a bit, and edit
in FreeBSD (isn't that just ed?  I dunno), but if you really want to go
crazy, try to find something with syntax coloring for html,mysql, and
php.

Hope that helps a little.