[GLLUG] PHP and Mysql Frontends in Linux

David Lee Lambert lamber45@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:26:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Mike Szumlinski wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a MySQL graphical frontend program for managing
> > users, tables, etc in Linux (Mandrake).  My other question is if

> Honestly, I do everything from a terminal now (ssh into the FreeBSD
> box) as far as MySQL is concerned.  It will greatly help you to learn
> the syntax of MySQL for your code if you have to manually manipulate
> the DBs.  If you really want to play with a frontend, xmysql and
> xmysqladmin seem to be pretty decent for viewing tables and stuff.

I'd agree,  as far as defining tables,  inserting initial test data,
adding users, etc. goes...  there exist graphical front-ends for MySQL on
several platforms,  but using such a thing is just like using MS Explorer
to manage your files and directories on a Linux box:  you have a pretty
interface over the basic stuff,  but there'll always be some odd option
that isn't quite supported.

I've been administering a MySQL database for a CSE 498 project this
semester.  I actually noticed some bugs once when I connected to the
database using MS Access (over ODBC).  I also used WordPerfect as a
database client at another point,  and I've played with some of the
graphical MySQL tools.

The 'mysql' client certainly isn't designed for making a production
application,  of course.  Thet's what php, or perl, or ODBC, or a good
spreadsheet, or ... is for.  Of course,  that wasn't your question.

--
DLL
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/