[GLLUG] Xandros is Incredible

martin mdcasa@yahoo.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:51:49 -0700 (PDT)

I also recently downloaded Mandrake 9.1 and although I
saw improvements over the previous version (but
remember I am still wet behind the ears) I could never
get my PCMCIA card configured and running, or sound
configured, and had several other issues with my
laptop.  Much less get the WEP encryption operational.
 I broke down and shelled out $50 for Xandros (got a
discount code from the web), and I have to tell you, I
think it's revolutionary.  The GUI is incredible.  The
OS has plug and play features.  Wireless WPC11 is
supported, all I had to do was reconfigure the
config.opts file.  And after a little work,
everything, and I mean everything on my HP Laptop
works like a charm.  Even the WEP Encryption.  I know
I'll probably get flamed, but I suggest you all try
it.  I was amazed how everything just got set up
without any major tweaking - except for my Linksys
wireless of course.  I know it runs an older KDE
version, but it seems just fine.  Of course, I know
that I'm a newb, but I am very happy with this distro.
Although it's not a free distro, I would much rather
pay a small amount of money for a subperb OS than
shell out that ton of money of M$ stuff, and all the
bugs and big brother stuff associated with it.  I feel
like I can finally get completely way from M$ and
really delve into Linux.  Well, my two cents worth.

Martin