[GLLUG] CD-RW/CD-R for Linux

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:10:38 -0400

Matt Graham wrote:
> The only Cendyne drive I've ever worked with suffered a severe hardware
> failure less than a week after the warranty ran out.  Liteon got
> reasonable marks from people in col.hardware, but for my money, you
> can't beat a Plextor.  My current Plextor is almost a year out of
> warranty, and still works fine.

I have four year old SCSI PlexWriter that's been awesome. A few months back it
had a problem where it would click reapeatedly and refuse to unlock the tray
for about 5 minutes after burning. The disc always turned out okay, but taking
it apart and blowing all the dust out seems to have fixed it.

My only big problem now is that it's becoming really difficult to find
rewritable discs for it. It rewrites at 2x and simply balks at most of the
higher-rated ones that are in the stores now.

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net