[GLLUG] CD-RW/CD-R for Linux

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:28:37 -0400

Matt Graham wrote:
> mkisofs -r -J -V "VolumeLabel" /path/to/files | cdrecord -v -multi
> dev=X,Y,Z speed=W -

Mozilla barfed on me when I tried to send this information before, but here is
the mkisofs command that I use for making single-session data CDs with long
filenames that work well on both Windows and Linux (I actually keep it in a
script so I don't have to remember all the flags):

mkisofs -allow-multidot -relaxed-filenames -l -f -r -J -V <vol_title> \
-o image.iso <files_dir>

The man page should tell you what each flag does... <vol_title> is the name of
the volume a la Microsoft and <files_dir> is the path to the directory holding
the files you want to burn. Note that with the -f flag that means you can have
symlinks in that dir rather than copying the actual files. This saves time
plus wear and tear on your disk (or network) if the files to be burned reside
on a different filesystem than the one you're burning from.

--Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net