[GLLUG] Which distribution for Oracle server?

imetis at imetis.com imetis at imetis.com
Thu Aug 28 23:30:56 EDT 2003

>>>"Matt Graham" <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote>>>

>HPaq?  Ick.  Nonstandard expensive parts, but I guess you didn't have
>any choice in the matter.
No, I was handed hardware. This server is on the compatible list at least.

>SCO/Caldera is no longer relevant to Linux.  Check /. for entertaining
>(if biased) accounts of why.
I did some reading on the SCO/IBM/Linux issue. Very sad. Caldera used to be a decent company. That knocks them off the list of options. In fact, that instability makes the whole UnitedLinux group questionable.

>SuSE started to suck around version 8.0 IMHO, mostly because they tried
>to emulate Redhat too much (uber-convoluted boot scripts, normal
>configuration files in weird places, mess in /etc/sysconfig *in
>addition* to the mess in /etc/rc.conf , etcetera.)  It was a reasonably
>nice distro so long as you didn't mind updating things only via YaST2,
>not editing certain things manually, and dealing with RPM Dependency
>Hell.
Those are my main complaints about Red Hat. I cut my teeth on Slackware, and odd file placements, RPMs, and having to jump through hoops to find the source code really annoy me.

>I installed Oracle 8i on a SuSE machine a long time ago and was
>thoroughly appalled at the quality of Oracle's installer--I had to use
>strace to figure out what the @#$%ing error the thing was dying on
>actually was, and the after-install Java-based "configuration
>assistant" segfaulted at the drop of a hat.  It was quicker and easier
>to read the Oracle docs and edit the config files with vim than to use
>that "assistant".  Maybe this has improved.
Frightening. I hope they've worked things out.