[GLLUG] Which distribution for Oracle server?

imetis at imetis.com imetis at imetis.com
Thu Aug 28 23:53:33 EDT 2003

>>>florian mettetal" <falieson at falsworld.com> wrote>>>
>I personally enjoy FreeBSD very much on my servers, though none of my
>personal ones are enterprise.... as they are personal. But under the
>same token, I see SuSE and Redhat more as desktop linux enviroments my
>self, and use them as such. Very nice interface and easy kernel
>configuration but compared to FreeBSD... they are some what slow.
>FreeBSD also has jails, which might be a possible subject at the next
>GLLUG meeting... perhaps... ??

I like FreeBSD as well. I think it is the most solid *nix option for servers. Unfortunately my organization is big on maintaining support agreements, and Oracle will only support their short list of Distributions.

So far here are my findings:
SCO - I'm not going to support that company.
Conectiva - their site doesn't seem to work, and I've not heard of them before.
TurboLinux - Our DBA said there were some compatability issues, so I haven't looked into this yet.
SuSE - Seems to be Red Hat, without Red Hat's clout.
Red Hat - Starting to seem like the least of evils.
My Director is quick to follow the hype, and sees Red Hat as the most stable offering. Given the actions of SCO I'd tend to agree. We have money to spend, so the $2500 price tag might fly, sick as that is.