[GLLUG] Which distribution for Oracle server?

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Fri Aug 29 11:07:59 EDT 2003

On 28 Aug 2003, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Some commercial software is only certified to run on particular
> distributions.  I wouldn't be surprised if Oracle was one of
> these and Red Hat was their distro of choice.

If you run the certified distro, you can get a support contract or use
their support system. This at least covers your butt if something critical
does go wrong. If you don't run a certified distribution, it is less
likely you will be able to find someone to help you.

It really depends on how much your time is worth and how critical of an
application your database server is. Personally if either of these two are
a big issue I would probably be looking at Sun hardware since they did a
big price drop recently. I am pretty tired of fighting hardware/software
issues, the time and frustration are not worth it if you are dealing with
an intense production environment.