[GLLUG] Which distribution for Oracle server?

bfdamkoehler at worldnet.att.net bfdamkoehler at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 29 19:58:50 EDT 2003

As far as running Oracle on Linux, I currently run 8i regularly on
Mandrake 9.0 and Red Hat 8.0, and many preceeding versions. In all
honestly, I don't really see much difference between them. Red Hat and
SuSE are the big names. I have never used the enterprise version of red
hat, but I am perfectly happy without having to pay the big bucks.

I do make sure that I have my kernel configuration set on each machine
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local as follows:

#
#   Oracle 9i limits
#
     echo 100 32000 100 100 >/proc/sys/kernel/sem
     echo 2147483648 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
     echo 4096 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
     echo 2097152 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmall