[GLLUG] DNS Help

Matthew Ryan Fuerst fuerstma@pilot.msu.edu
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:05:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi all, I am in real need of some help with my DNS setup.

Little background: I have a business class DSL service through ameritech. I get
5 static IP addresses but have only really used 2 generally. My main domain
name is mathosting.com, which I registered through dotster. Since I wasn't too
interested in running my own DNS server I used dotsters DNS service for a
reasonable $10 a year. ALl was working fine on my two machines for a year or
so. Last week I left on vacation and came back to neither of my machines
responding to my mathosting.com domain nor any of my subdomains.

I visited dotster.com and it appeared as though my DNS Service expired from
them without any warning. I renewed my DNS service and waited the requisite
three days for service to be restored, changes to propogate, etc.. all that fun
jazz. No luck. Strangely, one of my machines, fruitloops.mathosting.com was
being properly resolved (to it's IP 65.43.130.219) but our main machine
luckycharms.mathosting.com wasn't being resolved. Since that was the machine
with most of our services (web, ftp, e-mail servers) that was the important
one. I have been working with Dotster customer service for an answer but up
until then the only response I got was "Maybe your service is expired, you
should try to renew" after I detailed in my message that I had already renewed
and got an odd response. I checked my DNS records and it looked appropriate.
The luckycharms setup appeared correct.

So on Wednesday I decided to switch my name servers over to granite canyon whom
I am using for many other domains that are hosted on these same boxes (such as
nerdstuff.net and jackasscritics.com). I set up my DNS info in granite canyon
and told dotster my new name servers were ns1.granitecanyon.com and
ns2.granitecanyon.com as opposed to the ones I paid dotster for.

I have again waited my three days and gotten quite unexpected results. Once
again, from my machine here at work I can resolve and ping
fruitloops.mathosting.com but not luckycharms.mathosting.com! So bizarre. I
have done my share of pings, nslookups and digs and everything looks kosher to
me. I don't understand what I have done that is wrong, but obviously something.
I have attached below my granitecanyon DNS information hoping someone can point
out my flaw. Thanks so much in advance...

mathosting.com. IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
mathosting.com. IN NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.

mathosting.com. IN RP fuerstma.mathosting.com. fuerstma.mathosting.com.
fuerstma.mathosting.com. IN TXT "Matt Fuerst, Telephone 2486988496"

localhost.mathosting.com. IN A 127.0.0.1

luckycharms.mathosting.com. IN A 65.43.130.220
mail.mathosting.com. IN CNAME luckycharms.mathosting.com.
www.mathosting.com. IN CNAME luckycharms.mathosting.com.
secure.mathosting.com. IN CNAME luckycharms.mathosting.com.

fruitloops.mathosting.com. IN A 65.43.130.219

mathosting.com. IN MX 10 luckycharms.mathosting.com.

 -- Matt
Fuerst

fuerstma@msu.edu
Computer Guru