[GLLUG] redhat 7.3 install problem on Compaq computer

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:13:21 -0500

I would think that any core hardware in a 5yr old machine would be
supported by versions even older than 7.3. :)

I have gone from 7.0 through 8.0 and every rev. in between on my P3
Armada E500, which is probably quite similar to your Presario.  I had
some problems with a USB mouse I use with my docking station and various
wireless cards under 7.3.  All of these problems went away when I went
to 8.0.  The down side, as I said previously, is that it requires more
disk space, and I've only allocated 2GB for whatever Linux distro I want
to run on my laptop. :-\  But, that said, I've been happy with it
otherwise.

PaulM

-----Original Message-----
From: Yao-Ying Chien [mailto:chieny@pilot.msu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 11:21 AM
To: Melson, Paul
Cc: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: RE: [GLLUG] redhat 7.3 install problem on Compaq computer

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, AND the links.

The Presario was quite old: P-III 450MHz, a desktop made in 1998 (?).
450Mhz sounds a P-II to me, but the case says P-III). Shouldn't RH 7.3
take care of such an old computer?

I got mixed reports about RD 8.0. One is that, from the google search,
similar install problems were reported on RH 7.1-8.0, SuSe, Mandrake 8.
The others complained that that RH x.0 is unstable, and is worse than RH
7.3. ==>  That's why I was hesitate about RH 8.0.

OTOH, many people thought RH 8.0 was great. ==> What are you guys'
experiences?

Anyway RH 8.0 will be my next try. Beside, I have been curious about RH
8.0.

Many thanks,

Yao