[GLLUG] your favorite softwares, and distros

J. C. LAMACCHIA JR. jclii@yahoo.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:06:52 -0800 (PST)

Yao,

    My favorite is Mandrake. I have it installed on
three computers including a Toshiba 2250CDS laptop.
One machine is using Mandrake 8.1 and the other two,
including the laptop, use Mandrake 9.0 .  It installs
easily and works well as a desktop.  I have not had
any problem installing updates either.  I recommend it
highly.

    I have also used and installed Turbolinux, Caldera
Linux, and Red Hat.  I took me quite me quite a while
to install both Turbolinux and Caldera but that was
about three years ago and I wasn't too familiar with
Linux at that time.  I don't know if they have
improved.  I found Red Hat installed quite easily but
not as easily as Mandrake.  I would also recommend Red
Hat.

    One of my machines dual boots Mandrake and FreeBSD
4.6 .  FreeBSD is a bit difficult to install at first
but with experience I have found installation to be
direct, flexible, and logical.

JIM LAMACCHIA

--- Yao-Ying Chien <chieny@pilot.msu.edu>