[GLLUG] RedHat 8.0 Sound Issues

Ashton Shortridge ashton@msu.edu
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:30:10 -0500

Hello all,

I'm having problems with the aRts sound server. Last summer sound was working
fine (RedHat 7.3, KDE 2.x), but I was screwing around and broke something. I
wrongly supposed that an upgrade (finally accomplished after the semester
ended) would help, but this is not the case, and now I'm hoping someone here
might point me in the right direction.

Sound for some applications works ok, but not for others, including the
desktop environment (no beeps, pings, and fanfare at exit) and xmms. At login
I get the following warning messages:

Sound server warning message:
/usr/lib/libartsbuilder.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZTIN4Arts11Object_skelE

... followed by 5 or 6 other warnings. If you could help identify a solution,
I'd sure appreciate it!

Ashton

--
Ashton Shortridge			Ph# (517) 432 - 3561
Assistant Professor			Fax (517) 432 - 1671