[GLLUG] RedHat 8.0 Sound Issues

Melson, Paul PMelson@sequoianet.com
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:49:14 -0500

Was this a clean install of RH8, or an upgrade?  libarsbuilder.so.0 is part of the 'kdemultimedia' RPM - you might try reinstalling that package, though I don't have high hopes.  If this was an upgrade from 7.3, you'll need to make sure anything having to do with libstdc++, KDE3, and Qt3, plus the kernel and all kernel modules are at the latest revision - registering w/ RHN and running up2date might be a good way to go.  Short of that, my recommendation is to back up your data and re-install clean.  Hope that helps!

PaulM

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashton Shortridge [mailto:ashton@msu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 10:30 AM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: [GLLUG] RedHat 8.0 Sound Issues

Hello all,

I'm having problems with the aRts sound server. Last summer sound was working
fine (RedHat 7.3, KDE 2.x), but I was screwing around and broke something. I
wrongly supposed that an upgrade (finally accomplished after the semester
ended) would help, but this is not the case, and now I'm hoping someone here
might point me in the right direction.

Sound for some applications works ok, but not for others, including the
desktop environment (no beeps, pings, and fanfare at exit) and xmms. At login
I get the following warning messages:

Sound server warning message:
/usr/lib/libartsbuilder.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZTIN4Arts11Object_skelE

... followed by 5 or 6 other warnings. If you could help identify a solution,
I'd sure appreciate it!

Ashton

--
Ashton Shortridge			Ph# (517) 432 - 3561
Assistant Professor			Fax (517) 432 - 1671